It’s never too late to start training, but it’s important to understand that physical activity will benefit if you do it sensibly. The wrong choice of exercise can aggravate old injuries and harm your health. But remember such actresses as Jennifer Lopez, she looks just great and sports are one of the important factors for this. So the theme of our post Fitness for 40 Year old Woman. Here we go.
When making a training schedule at the age of 40-50 years it is necessary to take into account such physical changes as slowdown of metabolism, hormonal changes during perimenopause and menopause, as well as higher risk of heart and bone problems.
Both the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommend 150 to 300 minutes of moderate exercise or 75 to 150 minutes of vigorous aerobics per week for adults under 64 years of age.
It is also recommended that adults perform muscle strengthening exercises, concentrating on all parts of the body at least two days a week. It is important not to forget about stretching, both before and after physical activity, in order to better prepare the body for an intensive workout.
According to the American Heart Association, as you get older, the risk of heart disease also increases. Although men are more likely to have a heart attack than women, it is important that you make every effort to keep your heart healthy. One way to do this is to continue or strive to do the recommended number of aerobic exercises each week. Such physical activity helps to strengthen the heart muscle, forcing it to work faster.
In a report published in January 2019 in Circulation, the journal of the American Heart Association, researchers found that adults in their early 50s, who regularly exercised for at least 30 minutes over several years, were able to significantly improve their fitness levels (although previously they had been sedentary or had little or no exercise) and also demonstrated improved heart health.
Conclusion: Start or continue with 30 minutes of aerobic exercises such as fast walking, running, cycling or dancing. One of the options of training schedule according to this recommendation will be:
- Once a week high-intensity aerobic training
- 2 – 3 days of moderate intensity exercises per week
- 1 power training.
Workout for 40 Year Old Woman at Home
Forming a training plan, it is necessary to gradually increase the volume of workloads and monitor the state of your body. Power training for women over forty is very different from the typical training of most young people. As we age, our bodies are less able to withstand stress during running and jumping, especially in the joints.
You can choose from a variety of exercises, but it’s important to do them with the right technique and distribute the load to the right muscle groups. And a warm-up is a must in every light workout.
Usually women want to get rid of excess weight, make their legs, buttocks and waist more tight. For this purpose, you should pay attention to these exercises.
The main advantage of burpee exercises is that you can do them at home without any extra weight: dumbbells, weights, bracelets and similar weights. The complex gives the load on the whole body at once and thus is flawlessly effective. You will feel the tension in your body in a few minutes. The main load is on the press, hands, buttocks and calves. All problem areas are tightened, and the stress effect helps to lose weight while performing the burpee complex.
How to do an exercise?
- Sit on squatting and rest your palms on the floor.
- Then quickly make a jump back with your legs, and take the emphasis lying down.
- Then you need to return to its original position.
- Then, make a jump up. In this case you need to pull your hands up and try to make the jump as high as possible.
3 sets of 10 reps.
An excellent exercise for strengthening your legs:
- Go straight up, put your hands along your body.
- Start to lower your body back, bending your knees and pushing the body weight towards you.
- When you squat, your hands will start to rise in front of you, as a balance.
- Keep your spine neutral and never let your knees get past your nose stop.
- The lower part of the body should be parallel to the floor.
3 sets of 15 – 20 reps.
- Stand in the push-up position on the floor.
- Fold your elbows at 90 degrees and leave the weight on your forearms.
- Hold the torso straight and clear to the line of the body in a straight line, from ears to legs without sagging or bending.
- Your head is relaxed, and you look at the floor.
- Keep your position as long as you can.
- Do not forget to breathe. Breathe in and out slowly and continuously.
Execute 1 minute. Start with a few seconds
Stand in the bar on your straight arms. Bend each leg alternately, taking rhythmic steps forward, carrying the knee to the chest. Rock-climbing is considered one of the best functional exercises to include several muscle groups at once: arms and shoulders, abdomen and back, legs and buttocks.
3 sets of 15 – 20 reps.
You can perfectly complement your home workout with exercises with a rope. It is an excellent cardio exercise. Resistance Bands will also be useful. Training with them is more intense but not traumatic. It is possible to train almost the whole body. With them it will be useful to do exercises for hands, chest muscles.
Top 4 Nutrition Tips
To get the desired result, it is important to accelerate metabolism and provide the body with all the necessary resources, it is worth it:
- At the same time, it is necessary to put in order your diet – to exclude fast food, semi-finished products, refined products, reduce the amount of sugar, take into account the amount of fiber consumption, include fish, various types of lean meat.
- Together with your doctor, select and eat vitamins.
- Keep track of the amount of calcium. As we age, the bones become more fragile, which can lead to osteoporosis. In addition, the condition of joints and ligaments depends on the amount of calcium.
- Drink more water, green tea.
Take care and strengthen your health! We wish you success in training!